Patshull Hall is a substantial Georgian stately home situated in South Staffordshire
The Hall was built by Francis Smith of
Astley [a royalist] commissioned the house as a symbol of his families’ return to power after the reinstatement of the monarchy. The Astley’s were well known for gambling and cock fighting and it is said that Patshull was lost and won back again in an evening of sport. Indeed the gateway pillars adjoining the family chapel to the south once featured stone cockerels above gilded coronets.
Piano-nobile / split-level in section the main façade is of three storeys with seven bays, three of which are pedimented, and tower wings which are later Victorian additions attributed to the architect McVicar-Anderson. By contrast the west wing, of monolithic proportions, has four storeys.
The house was originally set in a deer-park of some 340 acres (1.4 km2) which was later reworked by the famous landscape architect Capability Brown incorporating a large serpentine lake.
The estate was acquired in 1765 by Sir George Pigot on his return from
Sir George Pigot was lord mayor of Bridgnorth and in turn Governor of
Sir Robert Pigot (George’s heir) sold the property in 1848 to William Legge the 5th earl of
During the 20th century the house served as a
During the 1990s the house fell into disrepair and was briefly used as a school; sadly the house had suffered extensive decay and had deteriorated so badly that it appeared on the English Heritage list of Buildings at Risk.
Patshull Hall was bought in 1997 by Neil Avery, a renovation specialist and entrepreneur as a restoration project and the house was subsequently removed from the Buildings at Risk register.
The renovated Hall is now owned by Mr. Tim Reynolds a member of the Georgian society who has decorated and furnished the house with painstaking authenticity and opens the house as a venue for weddings, events, conferences etc.